CLICK HERE for the Big Diabetes Lie
#diabetes #diabetestype1 #diabetestype2 #diabetestreatment
Let me begin by saying categorically that at the time of this video, there is no cure for diabetes.
Diabetes Management Book:
There are literally thousands of claims out there saying their product or their program can cure your diabetes. Simply put, they cannot.
But, this question asks if diabetes can be reversed. So to begin this conversation we need to define what we mean by reversed. If we are saying we can take our bodies back to the time before we had diabetes, then no. If we are talking about a state in which we can control our blood sugar without the use of any medications, then the answer is maybe.
Let’s talk about those with Type 1 diabetes first. If you have Type 1 then you are insulin dependent. When you were first diagnosed, you may have gone through what is called a “honeymoon period” in which your blood sugar kept dropping and dropping and you used less and less insulin. You may have even stopped using it altogether. (By the way, researchers now feel that Type 1’s need to continue small insulin injections to protect what insulin producing cells they still have.) But this honeymoon period will not last forever.
If you have Type 1 Diabetes, then approximately 90% of your insulin producing cells have been destroyed. They have not been damaged with a chance of repair, they are gone. It is impossible to reverse the damage done. While some think their diabetes has been cured or even reversed, this is a false sense of security. The process that destroyed the 90% of insulin producing cells with destroy the remaining 10%. Ultimately you will be totally dependent on insulin. Type 1 diabetes cannot be reversed. And this is not my opinion, it is the opinion of the foremost diabetes center in the world, the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.
As far as Type 2 Diabetes, as long as we are clear on the definition of reversal I will say it is possible. Remember, I am adamant about the fact that there is NO CURE for diabetes, but I do feel it is possible for a person with Type 2 to be able to go off their diabetes meds, for a time, and control their blood sugar. That would be a reversal. We cannot go back and reverse the damage done by having diabetes, but it is possible to control diabetes without medication.
The most recent reliable research I could find on this subject was conducted in March of 2016. It was conducted Professor Roy Taylor, Professor of Medicine and Metabolism at Newcastle University in New Castle, England.
The work was an extension of a 2011 study that was in question, because of the brevity of the study. That study had a theory that “This research is part of a growing body of evidence showing that people with Type 2 diabetes who successfully lose weight can reverse their condition because fat is removed from their pancreas, returning insulin production to normal.”
In the 2016 study, 30 volunteers with Type 2 went on a strict diet of 650 calories per day for 6 months. Now, let me warn you right now, that is not a lot of food in 650 calories. However, the participants lost an average of 30 pounds. They had to keep this weight off for another 6 months.
The results were that 12 of those with Type 2 who had been diagnosed less than10 years, reversed their diabetes. For those who had been diagnosed longer did not have the same results.
The key to reversing diabetes is to lose weight and regular exercise.
In another study discussed by Michael Dansinger, MD, “ those with Type 2 exercised for 175 minutes a week, limited their calories to 1,200 to 1,800 per day, and got weekly counseling and education on these lifestyle changes.
Within a year, about 10% got off their diabetes medications or improved to the point where their blood sugar level was no longer in the diabetes range, and was instead classified as prediabetes.”
In every study I researched, it was apparent that the numbers of those who were able to reverse their diabetes were largely dependent on the date of diagnosis. Those who were “newbies” had a better chance of reversal. But even at that, the average of those who have been able to reverse their diabetes has been about 10%.
Weight loss and exercise will not work for everyone. Part of that reason is that some people are simply predisposed to diabetes. It’s in your genes.
The reason we also call this a reversal rather than a cure? For those who have experienced reversal and then gained their weight back, guess what happens? They need to start their diabetes meds again.
I can attest to that first hand. As a 400 pound man I was in bad shape in more ways that one. I dropped 185 pounds on a fad diet. It was great! I no longer needed any diabetes meds, I felt awesome and this went on for about 3 years. But then the diet I was on started affecting other parts of my body. I got very ill. I was told I had to stop the fad diet and try to return to a “normal” diet or something bad was going to happen.